Oops… The boat got a little heavy!

 English  Comments Off on Oops… The boat got a little heavy!
Aug 032010

The trailer that was built for the Journeyman is designed for yachts up to 20 tons. We noticed before the bulb was put on that it had some problems lifting the hull, which was then about 9 tons. Now it gave up completely. It sits at its lowest position and does not want to move up. Fortunately this is the position it will be in during the transport!

Also today the steering has seen final assembly. The engine too. I did the final engine wiring myself, and wanted to check that everything was correctly done. So I just hit the start engine for about half a second, and to my complete surprise the engine started immediately! (We have not put any fuel in the boat yet). I managed to stop it very quickly, so no big problem. Anyway, now we know it works :-)

Bulb is now bulbier!

 English  Comments Off on Bulb is now bulbier!
Jul 312010

We had to redo the threading on most of the bolts. They were damaged from the manufacturer, the guy who grinded the bulb probably was drunk or something… We also digged out some parts of the mold that had fallen into the cast, and filled the holes with fiberglass and polyester.

Now it’s looking nice. And as you see, my calculated center of gravity was pretty good. It’s hanging from a single lifting point.

(Oh.. The weight? 4 500 kg)

Jul 242010

The guys in Trollhättan who did the bulb apparently were in a bit of a hurry to go on holiday or something. We have a few issues we need to fix. Like all the bolts have been damaged. And there are large areas of bad casting. No disaster, it can be fixed. But still it adds some time to our already hectic schedule…

Jul 162010

During the summer holidays there are always lots of little handcraft stores and local art exhibits sprouting in the Swedish countryside, hoping that people with lots of vacation time will make a stop. The same happens in Estonia. The Journeyman exhibit also gets its fair share of curious people stopping by. We have considered selling 1€ tickets to improve the budget situation…

Today we added a couple of more parts spread out outside the yard. It kind of looks like a wannabe art-in-nature installation, with the ruins of some Soviet era cranes in the background.

Approximately 30% of the yachts final weight is in this picture…

The keel now has the lifting cylinder mounted and the corrosion protection completed. The cylinder manufacturer put some really useless black epoxy paint on it, it is falling off immediately as you can see. But on the piston it doesn’t matter as the it is stainless anyway. The Cylinder and the keel itself are not, but as you can see the dough-like ThorCoat flexible epoxy cover looks a bit more lasting. One of the visitors commented on this as a shitty paint job :-) But as old readers of this blog knows, this stuff is some of the most difficult to apply I have ever experienced!

…and I had to make one more glory shot of the 4.5 tons of lead in the sunset:

Bottoms Up!

 English  Comments Off on Bottoms Up!
Jun 152010

(Sorry, cheesiest entry title so far, probably…)

Since the Journeyman has a rather pointy bulb, there is always the risk of catching stuff on the point. Fishing boys, anchor lines and such. But if we do, at least we will be able to see what the problem is, and how successful efforts to remove the catch is. In this image you can see the instrumentation sensors, the inlets to the air removal tank, and the video camera flanked by its two LED floodlights.

As a side effect you get nice entertainment on the TV when moored in tropical waters or when visited by dolphin schools at sea.