Nov 222012
 

The thruster first gave up in Las Plamas in the Canaries almost exactly a year ago. Then it was the gearbox that called it quits. Since then the control electronics and the up/down motors gave up too, due to salt water penetration.

Now I have a new gearbox and a new controller, and I actually managed to find a small garage in the suburbs of Maldonado who were able to re-wind the shorted up/down motor.

So everything was put back together with a lot more careful water proofing than the original product had. The up/down motors were originally sealed with ordinary PVC tape, the kind you use for household electrical work… Now I have surface treated the motors with a metal epoxy primer, and carefully sealed them using proper marine products.

And everything actually works. Horray!


Oct 132012
 

One of the products that I have not at all been happy with is my Max Power bow thruster. It thrashed its internal gearbox for no apparent reason while we were in Las Palmas, so I lived without thruster since. Journeyman is not simple to maneuver without a thruster, since the “One propeller/Two rudders” combination offers no possibility at all to generate a turning moment on the boat without making way through the water.

When I installed the thrusters electronics control box I noticed that it was not very well made. It was not watertight at all. I tried to add sealant to the box and the holes where the cables came in, but as you can see this didn’t help. Not matter what you do there will be times when you have to open the forward locker hatch under way, and the occasional wave or spray will get in. So in the end there was some water inside and it fried itself. I didn’t get any warranty for the repair, but when the new control box shipped it was a completely different and much better design. Which proves to me I was not the first man with that problem…


Marina Fail

 English  Comments Off on Marina Fail
Oct 092012
 

…I saw it happen. The boat behind me fell off its supports. Made quite a noise.


Micro small carbon work

 English  Comments Off on Micro small carbon work
Jun 022012
 

Sometimes it’s fun to try something just to see if you can do it. One of the zippers in my mainsail cover had broken, and I had new zippers from the sail-makers to replace the old one. But I decided to see if I could fix it instead, rebuilding the broken part in carbon fiber and epoxy. First I made a dummy of the other side of the zipper which I could mold a new end piece around. Covered it in Vaseline and put a putty made out of a few drops of epoxy and some finely cut carbon fiber around it. After that was hard I grinded it into shape, put a final layer of twill on top, and then pulled out the dummy. It worked very well. The whole thing is about 3×5 millimeters. Fun work. And I still have the spare zipper…


May 302012
 

I’ve been having a bit of trouble on and off with my fuel system. What I know is that I originally put in a filter system that was too much of a toy. So I’m going to replace it with some more professional equipment. In the meanwhile, I wanted to make sure there was no water or dirt in the tanks before I put the boat on land. So I thought I would run all the fuel through the  filters a couple of times using a circulation pump. But in the process of doing that the suction side of the pipes got completely blocked. After taking everything apart to its pieces, I found this sitting in one of the hose nipples:

It is a small piece of silicon. A perfect block. I would really like to know what it is and how it got in there!!!