Oops… The boat got a little heavy!

 English  Comments Off on Oops… The boat got a little heavy!
Aug 032010
 

The trailer that was built for the Journeyman is designed for yachts up to 20 tons. We noticed before the bulb was put on that it had some problems lifting the hull, which was then about 9 tons. Now it gave up completely. It sits at its lowest position and does not want to move up. Fortunately this is the position it will be in during the transport!

Also today the steering has seen final assembly. The engine too. I did the final engine wiring myself, and wanted to check that everything was correctly done. So I just hit the start engine for about half a second, and to my complete surprise the engine started immediately! (We have not put any fuel in the boat yet). I managed to stop it very quickly, so no big problem. Anyway, now we know it works :-)


Bulb is now bulbier!

 English  Comments Off on Bulb is now bulbier!
Jul 312010
 

We had to redo the threading on most of the bolts. They were damaged from the manufacturer, the guy who grinded the bulb probably was drunk or something… We also digged out some parts of the mold that had fallen into the cast, and filled the holes with fiberglass and polyester.

Now it’s looking nice. And as you see, my calculated center of gravity was pretty good. It’s hanging from a single lifting point.

(Oh.. The weight? 4 500 kg)


Jul 302010
 

I didn’t admit it even to myself, but I was a bit nervous about this one. We’ve had so many welding deformation issues with the keel-box in the passed, so I wasn’t at all sure it would work. But it did. After a slight protest on the first attempt we greased it up with a bit of soap. And it went in with only it’s own weight. Now onwards! The bulb is next…


Jul 252010
 

The keel is being prepared for mounting. This will be the first of  the three most nervous moments in the whole project.

The other two critical moments are of course first the launch, which will show if my hydrostatic calculations are correct (The question is: Will the boat float on the waterline?). Second moment is the first sailing, which will show if the keel force/sail force balance calculations are correct. Mistakes in any of these calculations take a lot of work, time and money to correct!

(By the way, beside the keel in the shot above you can see the just completed nav seat.)


Jul 162010
 

During the summer holidays there are always lots of little handcraft stores and local art exhibits sprouting in the Swedish countryside, hoping that people with lots of vacation time will make a stop. The same happens in Estonia. The Journeyman exhibit also gets its fair share of curious people stopping by. We have considered selling 1€ tickets to improve the budget situation…

Today we added a couple of more parts spread out outside the yard. It kind of looks like a wannabe art-in-nature installation, with the ruins of some Soviet era cranes in the background.

Approximately 30% of the yachts final weight is in this picture…

The keel now has the lifting cylinder mounted and the corrosion protection completed. The cylinder manufacturer put some really useless black epoxy paint on it, it is falling off immediately as you can see. But on the piston it doesn’t matter as the it is stainless anyway. The Cylinder and the keel itself are not, but as you can see the dough-like ThorCoat flexible epoxy cover looks a bit more lasting. One of the visitors commented on this as a shitty paint job :-) But as old readers of this blog knows, this stuff is some of the most difficult to apply I have ever experienced!

…and I had to make one more glory shot of the 4.5 tons of lead in the sunset: