Jul 282010
 

So this is what the steering position looks like. In the picture you can also see the now solved winch collision problem. You can also see the steering control valve I talked about in yesterdays post, it’s the small silvery handle to the right of the wheel center.

You can see two joysticks on the switch button panel. The left one is the bow thruster. The smaller right one is the engine throttle and gear control. I hate the Teleflex style big throttles that always break and take too much space and peoples lifelines get caught in them and what not. So I rebuilt the engine to use a small industrial joystick for control, one at each steering position and one indoors in the deck house.

You can maybe also see that it has been raining, which is not so good since we are trying to get the bottom paint done, and that has been taking a bit too long due to multiple epoxy mixing disasters…


Jul 202010
 

Although in this final stage it seems no matter how you thrust forward there are at least a thousand things left to do. But anyways, now it’s one less. Having a propeller helps.

And for those of you who remember this post, you now know the result.


Jun 072010
 

Actually the parameter that determined the width of the deck house door was exactly this one: The engine. I wanted to be able to take it completely out for repairs if that should become necessary (actually there are quite a few boats around that don’t allow this!!).

So getting the engine in was fine. We could have left it in when the deck house roof was being built, but that would have meant that it was in there during sand blasting and spray painting, which is risky stuff for an engine…

On the other hand, the galley module that our carpenters are building will not fit in, and I didn’t think of that until this weekend. Luckily the galley is not finished, so they can finish it in parts that we put together inside.

Another noteworthy thing in this image is that I am obviously totally the hairstyle trendsetter, since all of the guys are now shaved. I’m just waiting for the yard manager to shave too. But not holding my breath, though….


The machines get a place to rest

 English  Comments Off on The machines get a place to rest
Feb 192010
 

A lot of work on the mountings for the machinery happened the last days. The engine mount is completed:

An advice to others planning to build stuff like this: Never ever trust the manufacturers drawings of the equipment they deliver. The bow thruster drawings had the mounting holes in the wrong place. And the engine had a different distance between the mounts than what the manufacturer specified. Actually Olari said he would build a model of the engine to test with as he built the engine mount, but for some reason this didn’t get done and of course the engine didn’t fit the first time. But now it fits nicely.

The Bow Thruster (not the human one, the real!) has also been put in place and tested. As usual it looks a little bit like a blood bath when the leak test developer fluid is put on.


Getting rid of ropes and inlets

 English  Comments Off on Getting rid of ropes and inlets
Feb 152010
 

You know what it looks like in the cockpit after hoisting the sails, right? Rope everywhere. And nowhere to put it away. I though I could at least try to improve that situation a bit by having two boxes to put halyard ends and such in. But since you sometimes need to release the ropes really really fast, it can’t be too much locked away either.

So I designed a couple of boxes into the hull just underneath the halyard locks where you can just shove the rope coils in, and they will be reasonably gone. But still quick to pull out since there is no hatch or anything, just a big slot.

These boxes at the same time solves another problem: Breathing air for the engine. A turbo engine like the one Journeyman has needs a lot of air. 750 m2 per hour in this case. While looking for good spots to put the engine air intakes (I didn’t want to route the pipes through the watertight bulkhead to the transom) I realised that on the inside of the rope storage boxes the intakes would be practically invisible and very well protected from rain, spray and wave splashes.