Today's happy repair is the wind indicator that the clumsy skipper (me...) fell and smashed during a reefing manoeuvre in darkness in the crossing from Uruguay. The cover glass was cracked in several places and the salt water that got in to the unit damaged one of the background light LED's. After deciding that it was impossible to repair the glass from the inside we just covered the whole thing in 2 mm of clear polyester. And I found a LED with the right color (but the wrong shape, as you can see) to replace the broken one. The not so happy repair is our dinghy engine, which first refused to run. Now it has had a thorough carburetor cleaning, and runs fine, except the cooling isn't working. So that's next on the to do list (except of course for some Christmas decorations). We need the dinghy to be able to make excursions to the islands, since the islands are shallow, and you can't get ashore without a dinghy.
My favorite instrumentation supplier Nexus has been purchased by Garmin, and I am hoping it means good things for the products. So far I have only good things to report. I needed to replace my log transducer, and Garmin provided one very quickly for a friend who was traveling down to Uruguay to join the crew. The new transducer has a different fitting than the old, but I happened to have an extra through-hull mounted with the proper dimension. So I thought it didn't matter that the boat was already in the water when the transducer arrived. What I didn't think about beforehand was that the extra fitting was originally used for a depth sounder, which is not dependent on any particular orientation of the sensor. The log sensor on the other hand must be correctly oriented to work. But to my relief I had mounted the through-hull correctly from the start, so the installation went smoothly.
One of the products that I have not at all been happy with is my Max Power bow thruster. It thrashed its internal gearbox for no apparent reason while we were in Las Palmas, so I lived without thruster since. Journeyman is not simple to maneuver without a thruster, since the "One propeller/Two rudders" combination offers no possibility at all to generate a turning moment on the boat without making way through the water. When I installed the thrusters electronics control box I noticed that it was not very well made. It was not watertight at all. I tried to add sealant to the box and the holes where the cables came in, but as you can see this didn't help. Not matter what you do there will be times when you have to open the forward locker hatch under way, and the occasional wave or spray will get in. So in the end there was some water inside and it fried itself. I didn't get any warranty for the repair, but when the new control box shipped it was a completely different and much better design. Which proves to me I was not the first man with that problem...
Photos of people taking photos are always fun! In this case it is significant: What you see is well know meteorologist and climate researcher Martin Hedberg from the Swedish Weather and Climate Center taking a snap of the just installed weather sensor on the top of Journeyman's targa arch. One of his projects includes using online measurements from the Journeyman to fine tune weather forecast models for open ocean environments.