Sometimes really small issues get annoyingly large. Like this one: The drawers in my galley have locks that are pretty good. But sometimes when we are in choppy seas on the port tack there is too much weight sitting on the locks and they snap open from the force and vibrations. Not a big problem. But annoying. Something is needed to secure the drawers while under way. Something that's easy to put in and remove and doesn't affect the galley when not in use. So we put together this securing mechanism:
Another day with 150m cloud base and a drizzle. Good day for working in the galley. One small issue has been the opening of drawers when heeled over on a starboard tack. If the drawer is full of stuff it is to heavy to lift in the small locking knob. So now I have added a handle too: The next problem I need to solve is the opposite situation: A more solid locking for port tacks in rough seas. The locks tend to not be strong enough to keep the drawers shut. Sometimes they come open. There is quite a bit of weight pushing on that small lock when the boat heels over. Not sure how to do it best right now. We'll see.
Sometimes it's fun to try something just to see if you can do it. One of the zippers in my mainsail cover had broken, and I had new zippers from the sail-makers to replace the old one. But I decided to see if I could fix it instead, rebuilding the broken part in carbon fiber and epoxy. First I made a dummy of the other side of the zipper which I could mold a new end piece around. Covered it in Vaseline and put a putty made out of a few drops of epoxy and some finely cut carbon fiber around it. After that was hard I grinded it into shape, put a final layer of twill on top, and then pulled out the dummy. It worked very well. The whole thing is about 3x5 millimeters. Fun work. And I still have the spare zipper...
Many details on the Journeyman are experimental. Most are working very well, some not at all, and some need some refinement. I have written before about the de-bubbelizing tank that the Journeyman has in the salt water inlet. The pipe that lets out the air after it has been separated from the water used to end just underneath the ceiling in the salon. Since there would only be air coming out of this pipe I figured it didn't really matter where it went, as long as it was well above the waterline at any heel angle. However it turns out that when we are sailing in really bad waves at high speeds, like we did on the last leg, there is so much air being blown up through this pipe that it takes quite a bit of water with it. Which then ends up inside the wall in the salon. Not a good thing! So today I installed a skin fitting in the deck and routed the air flow up in the air above instead:
Some tasks in the Journeyman project have been stubbornly resisting getting done. The fridge and freezer installation is one of them. As I wrote about earlier, I have done a special version of the heat exchanger integrated into the hull bottom plate. Now the story about getting this finally connected and running involves several different companies, odd pipe dimensions and various incompatible pipe metals, hard to get parts and chemicals, companies going out of business, snotty big name cooling service firms refusing to deal with small jobs, and so on and so on. In the end it has taken about 8 month to get to the point where I finally have all the stuff and an engineer willing to do the job. Thaar from CN Kylservice is a really good cooling systems engineer, but he keeps complaining about there beeing no space to work! I can't imagine why, the Journeyman is pretty roomy for a sailboat. I guess he is not used to sailboats ;-)