Sep 302012
 

The original build of my anchor arm kind of hinged on the theory that it would only be used when raising or lowering the anchor, not when actually sitting at anchor, since I have a special strongpoint in the bow for that. The problem with this theory was of course that the forces on the anchor arm can get pretty nasty anyway.

So it broke because it was too weak. Then I made a new end fitting in stainless steel. Much stronger. But the original plastic rollers had cracked, so I thought rubber rollers would be nice, since rubber doesn’t crack. But the rubber quickly got worn to pieces by the chain, so that theory didn’t work either. As a stop gap I put some Aluminum tube there the last months of sailing, but now, finally, with big thanks to Mr Anders H, I have very macho rollers made from 40x6mm stainless pipe with a POM core. Here’s to hoping this will really be the end of the anchor arm story.