Jun 022012
 

Sometimes it’s fun to try something just to see if you can do it. One of the zippers in my mainsail cover had broken, and I had new zippers from the sail-makers to replace the old one. But I decided to see if I could fix it instead, rebuilding the broken part in carbon fiber and epoxy. First I made a dummy of the other side of the zipper which I could mold a new end piece around. Covered it in Vaseline and put a putty made out of a few drops of epoxy and some finely cut carbon fiber around it. After that was hard I grinded it into shape, put a final layer of twill on top, and then pulled out the dummy. It worked very well. The whole thing is about 3×5 millimeters. Fun work. And I still have the spare zipper…